I have absolutely no knowledge of wed site or design but I have the task to set up a website from scratch. I have been introduced to OSCOMMERCE but I have no idea of what to do with it. So far i downloaded the program from the site, but I already know i shouldn’t have done it to my PC. Can you give me the bearing of what I am doing, or link me to a blog or site that could tell me from scratch of what to do?
Mario – to run osCommerce you do need to have certain things lined up…
- A domain name! I’m guessing that you know where to get one from, if not, I suggest “Name Cheap” – com domains are less than $10.
- A hosting account. There are so many hostinf compnaies out there that I wouldn’t know which to recommend. Maybe “Hosting Zoom” – so long as the hosting account that you purchase has PHP and MySQL, osCommerce will work.
- Once you got both the above, link one to the other. This is done by the host that you choose to use. You then get email, webspace and so on.
- osCommerce. You’ve already downloaded it which is the right thing to do. You now need to unzip it and you will find that the unzipped folder structure contains a “catalog” folder. Upload everything that is inside that folder to your website hosting account.
- Now set up a database for osCommerce to use. To do this, follow the instructions given by the host that you choose.
- Now install osCommerce!
It’s all much easier than it sounds. If you think that you won’t have any chance of getting it up and running, I have an osCommerce install guide that is only a few dollars. Alternatively, I do offer an installation service, however this is obviously quite a lot more expensive than the eBook I linked to.
Well, for starters, get your domain name and host sorted out. Once you’ve got that, please do come back and ask for more help if you need it.