I quite often receive emails asking how to set up product downloads in osCommerce. The latest was yesterday, so I decided to make a blog post FAQ.
It’s a bit complicated, but here goes – let’s assume we are creating a downloadable eBook;
1. Make a .zip file and call it something memorable. Eg; ebook_123.zip
2. Upload it using FTP (File Transfer) to the /downloads/ directory of your osCommerce shop.
3. Go to Admin > Configuration > Download and make sure that “Enable Download” is true. Check the other settings as well, all three should be self explanatory;
4. Set up your new product as normal. I won’t screenshot this as I am sure that everyone knows how to do this!!!
5. Admin > Catalog > Product Attributes. Make sure that you have a self explanatory title (eg: “Download”);
Now go to the “Option Value” and enter a new value of “eBook”, using the dropdown set to “Download”;
6. Scroll down the page and find the area for linking options to products;
In here, select your product from the dropdown list. Select “Download”. Select “eBook”. If you want to give it a price increase or decrease. In Filename put the name of your zip file – make sure that this is correctly named! Add your options for expiry days and download attempts. Press [+Insert]
7. Go to your product. Now you will see it has the option available to buyers to have it as a download;
Once they have bought, you need to amend their order status to “delivered”. They will then be able to log in and get the link from their account > account history > view order;
That’s it! Not straightforward, but certainly do-able.
Important Note; if you have multiple downloads, make sure to call all your zip files different names! Otherwise your customers might buy one item to find they are downloading something else.